Monday, August 20, 2007

When to light.

I really liked how the last portrait of Jonathan worked out. The option of adding in props like pictures from Africa or some of the kids he taught is something that is overdone and somewhat boring. Sure, the focus wasn't bang on. Using a consumer camera makes that a tad bit tough. But the moment was real and was a good insight into who this guy is. Leaning on his kitchen countertop, talking about his trip. Real.

A singers portrait, something a little more graphical and flashy. As a preview to one of her concerts, I think it works. It might be nice to catch her during a practice session, but again under newspaper deadlines sometimes you have to go with what your given. Yes, the horizon line is off.

A new owl at the bird recovery centre. I could see that the office assistant had a relationship with "Baby" already so I just told them to hang out as I took some photos. I think it made a "real" photo with a little bit of flash to add some pop.

There are always choices to make going into a portrait shot, and the possiblities are endless. I guess you just have to go with your gut, but usually I find the simpler I make it, the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home